Holiday gift guides abound at this time of year and it is tricky finding the good ones. Since you are reading OHAW, chances are you are fairly active and like to get outside, so I’ll help you out a bit by sharing my ideas on great gear for families that like to be out on bikes.
We celebrate Christmas in our family, but try to focus more on the doing than the consuming, as much as we can. It’s also mostly about the kids, for us, and sharing good tidings with friends and family.
Gifts-wise, we do stockings and stuff them with practical and fun items. I’ve got a formula for stockings:
- Smartwool socks,
- magazine or colouring book,
- chocolate, and
- something small but needed, like a headlamp.
And, I’ve started to do a box of books from “Santa” that the girls share. If there are any other gifts, they are items our family needs in order to keep pursuing our active lifestyle. My kids have a life rich in imaginary play and don’t seem to latch on to many (if any) toys. As such, I’ve managed to convince the grandparents to give the kids annual passes to our local science centre and zoo instead of acquiring more stuff that may or may not be used (and will definitely end up in a landfill at some point); they’ve even been so generous as to include passes for us adults, too!
Holiday Gift Guide
Without further adieu, here is my bike-related holiday gift guide for you! Scroll through to the bottom of this post to see a compilation of links to gift guides from fellow #OutdoorFamilies outdoor bloggers, too, including more giveaways!
Since the holidays are celebrated in many ways with a variety of budgets, I have given suggestions for every member of your biking family, ranging from free or cheap to super spendy!
Check out the following links for various age groupings, there are several good ideas for each and one or more giveaways or discount codes to be found! Please check details on giveaways for eligibility (eg. Canadian residents only or North American-wide or local pick-up only) and note that the giveaways are running from 06:00 am on Monday, November 13th until 12:00 am on Sunday, November 19th, 2017.
Even the littlest munchkins in your family can appreciate getting some good gear to help them learn to love your family sport. Includes TWO giveaways: one for Canadians and one for Calgarians!
Click on “Shredders” to connect with ideas for the pipsqueaks in your family that have moved up to shredder status. Includes a giveaway for Canadians!
A well-rounded section of ideas that are great for moms, dads, and presents that will benefit the entire family! Includes three giveaways from Canadian businesses (two open to residents of Canada & the USA; one open to residents of Canada).
Perhaps you are a fair-weather rider… so far! Check out these ideas to take your riding into year-round awesomeness; suggestions for commuting or recreating on a bike in the winter. Including a giveaway!
Books are always great. Great for kids, people you don’t know well, teachers’ gifts — you name it. They are easy to find used, you can pass on beloved stories, or purchase new. You can never go wrong gifting books. Check out this link for a few of my favourites, plus the book of the season that I am recommending for all of your kids’ teachers, including a giveaway of it (open to residents of Canada & the USA)!
Outdoorsy Holiday Gift Guide Central
Check out these links to more holiday gift guides and giveaways if you are looking for quality recommendations for outdoor gear to get your family outside! Most giveaways are open to residents of both USA and Canada, but some are country-specific or have a local pick-up, so double check before you enter. In alphabetical order by blog title:
- Backwoods Mama – Holiday Gift Guide for Canadian Outdoor Families
- Born to Be Adventurous – Holiday Gift Guide for the Outdoor Family
- Braveskimom.com – Simple Gifts for Skiing Families
- Go Adventure Mom – 2017 Holiday Gift Guide and Giveaways
- Family Adventures in the Canadian Rockies – A Ski Family’s Holiday Gift Guide
- Kid Project – Useful Outdoor Gifts for Your Family
- Little Family Adventure – The Ultimate Family Guide to Outdoor & Camping Gifts
- Play Outside Guide – 2017 Holiday Gift Guide and Giveaways
- Mountain Mom and Tots – 40+ Gift Ideas for Family Hiking, Biking, Camping and Skiing + GIVEAWAY
- Outdoor Families Magazine – The Ultimate Gift Guide for Outdoor Families
- Rain or Shine Mama – Holiday Gift Guide for Outdoorsy Kids + Giveaways
- RockiesGirl – The Under $30 Gift Guide for Outdoor Families
- Tales of a Mountain Mama – 2017 Holiday Gift Guide for Families
- We’ll Eat You Up We Love You So – Outdoor Gifts for the Little and Big Kids in Your Life!
- Wilder Child – The Ultimate DIY, Handmade and Unique Gift Guide for Your Wild Child!